George Washington Carver and Henry A. Wallace
"Because of his friendship with my father, George Carver often took me with him on botany expeditions, and it was he who first introduced me to the mysteries of plant fertilization."
--H. A. Wallace
Current Research Group
- Ms. Jessica Nelson, M.S. student, Sustainable Agriculture.
- Ms. Huong Nguyen, Ph.D. student, Sustainable Agriculture.
Former Graduate Students and their current positions
- Mr. Joshua Budi, (M.S. 2020, co-supervised with Dr. Leonor Leandro), Data analyst, TruTerra LLC, Ames, IA.
- Ms. Lydia English, (M.S. 2020), Strategic Initiatives Coordinator, Practical Farmers of Iowa, Ames, IA.
- Dr. Michael Cruse (M.S. 2009), Extension Educator, University of Minnesota-Extension, Preston and Caledonia, MN.
- Dr. Adam Davis (M.S. 1998, Ph.D. 2002), Dept. Head and Professor, Department of Crop Sciences, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Urbana, IL.
- Dr. Ranae Dietzel (Ph.D. 2014), Agronomy Data Scientist, Syngenta, Slater, IA.
- Dr. Elizabeth Dyck (Ph.D. 1994), Director, Organic Growers' Research and Information-Sharing Network, Bainbridge, NY.
- Dr. Robin Gómez (Ph.D. 2012), Associate Professor, Weed Science and Cropping Systems, Universidad de Costa Rica, San José, Costa Rica.
- Ms. Rhonda Graef (M.S. 2004), Biological Laboratory Technician, USDA-Agricultural Research Service-National Soil Erosion Lab, West Lafayette, IN.
- Dr. Andrew H. Heggenstaller (M.S. 2005, Ph.D. 2008), Head Agronomy Manager, US Seeds, Syngenta, Downers Grove, IL.
- Dr. Sarah Hirsh (M.S. 2012), Agricultural Extension Agent, University of Maryland-Somerset County, Princess Anne, MD.
- Dr. Jean-Luc Jannink (M.S. 1995), Research Geneticist, USDA-Agricultural Research Service-Plant, Soil, and Nutrition Research Lab, Ithaca, NY.
- Dr. Meghann E. Jarchow (Ph.D. 2012), Department Chair and Associate Professor, Department of Sustainability and Environment, University of South Dakota, Vermilion, SD.
- Dr. Carlos A. Khatounian (Ph.D. 2004), Professor, Produção Vegetal, Escola Superior de Agricultura Luiz de Queiroz, Universidade de São Paulo, Piracicaba, Brazil.
- Dr. Terrance Loecke (M.S. 2002), Assistant Professor, Kansas Biological Survey and Environmental Studies Program, University of Kansas, Lawrence, KS.
- Ms. Barbara Murphy (M.S. 1992), Development Director, Mahoosuc Land Trust, Bethel, ME.
- Dr. Virginia (Gina) Nichols (Ph.D. 2021, co-supervised with Dr. Sotirios Archontoulis), Assistant Research Professor, Swette Center for Sustainable Food Systems, Arizona State University, Tempe, AZ.
- Dr. Megan E. O'Rourke (M.S. 2005), National Program Leader, USDA-National Institute of Food and Agriculture, Kansas City, MO.
- Dr. William Osterholz (Ph.D. 2016, co-supervised with Dr. Michael Castellano), Research Soil Scientist, USDA-Agricultural Research Service-Soil Draingae Research, Columbus, OH.
- Dr. Valentín Picasso (Ph.D. 2008, co-supervised with Dr. E. Charles Brummer), Associate Professor, Department of Agronomy, University of Wisconsin–Madison, Madison, WI.
- Dr. Hanna Poffenbarger (Ph.D. 2017, co-supervised with Dr. Michael Castellano), Assistant Professor, Department of Plant and Soil Sciences, University of Kentucky, Lexington, KY.
- Dr. Pablo Torres-Lima (M.S. 1994), Professor, Departamento de Producción Agrícola y Animal, Universidad Autónoma Metropolitana, Coyoacán, Mexico.
Former Post-doctoral Scientists and their current positions
- Dr. Eric Gallandt (1994-1997), Professor, Department of Plant, Soil, and Environmental Sciences, University of Maine, Orono, ME.
- Dr. Farnaz Kordbacheh (2015-2019), Post-doctoral Scientist, Department of Plant Science, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, MB, Canada.
- Dr. Fabián Menalled (2001-2004), Professor, Department of Land Resources and Environmental Sciences, Montana State University, Bozeman, MT.
- Dr. Paula Westerman (2004-2007), Entomology Researcher, Wageningen University and Research, Wageningen, The Netherlands.
- Dr. Carol Williams (2005-2009), Chief Strategist for Research, Marketing and Sales at New Rhineland, LLC, Augusta, KY.
Ms. Marcia Minear, Administrative Specialist
Mr. Matt Woods, Agricultural Specialist (now in Dr. Marshall McDaniel's group).
Mr. Tim Youngquist, Agricultural Specialist (now in Dr. Marshall McDaniel's group).
David N. Sundberg died unexpectedly in his sleep on 4 May 2014. Dave was born in Storm Lake, IA, and grew up working with his father on their family farm near Linn Grove. He graduated with B.S. and M.S. degrees in agronomy from ISU, and was employed as an Agricultural Specialist in the Department of Agronomy for 32 years. He was a vital member of our research group, leading activities in the field and lab. His attention to detail, careful planning, knowledge of farming practices, and hard work were essential to the successes achieved in projects undertaken by our team. His love of farming and Iowa land was apparent throughout his life. Dave is survived by his wife, Nancy, and two children, Michael and Hanna.